Friday 5 July 2013

Bangkok Fruit Market, Or Tor Kor - Part 3/3

My earlier years eating mangosteen was not really pleasant - a hit and miss, mostly miss. When you get poor quality mangosteens, they are sour and I dislike sour... Until I was introduced to the Thai variety at Or Tor Kor Market.

Mangosteens are supposedly "cooling" in property as opposed to the heath fruits like durians, mangoes and lychees. So when one eats too much heath stuff, one needs to balance it with mangosteens. Because it is in season, several stalls sell mangosteens and the purple skin are a sight to behold.
Mangosteens in OrTorKor BKK photo OrTorKorMarketMangosteens02.jpg

You can see from the green stems that the fruits are fresh.
Thai Mangosteens photo OrTorKorMarketMangosteens06.jpg

When you peel the mangosteen, be careful the purple sap. They stain your clothes and it cannot be washed off.
Thai Mangosteens photo OrTorKorMarketMangosteens05.jpg

The flesh is soft, juicy and sweet. You can taste a tinge of sourness but overall, they are sweet. The correct way of eating is to wait for the green petals to turn slightly brown and that is when it is at its sweetest.
Thai Mangosteens photo OrTorKorMarketMangosteens03.jpg

I was told the rambutans are also nice. But alas, my luggage can only take that much fruits. And I am also not a fan of the rambutans even though I was told these are superbly sweet and in this case, grown by the seller in their orchard.
Rambutans in OrTorKor BKK photo OrTorKorMarketRambutans01.jpg

Rambutans remind me of my childhood years when we used to have a rambutan tree growing in our backyard. Plenty of black ants when the fruits are in season. But when there are no fruits, a good place to practice climbing. Way before rock climbing became a sport!

And I am looking forward to returning to Or Tor Kor Market for another marketing trip. Who knows what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment