Saturday 4 June 2022

JLC Baguette Clock

Jaeger-LeCoultre is one of the few Manufactures who has a wide range of clocks on top of their extensive range of watches and pocket watches. And they all use in-house movements. What intrigued me are the Baguette 8 Days clocks and the Atmos.

The Baguette 8 Days Clock houses the Calibre 250, sixteen (16) jewels. I believe it was developed after the 1930s. Comes in several shapes and designs but I was lucky enough to find this specimen in the US and on eBay. Years ago, I used to travel quite a fair bit for business and I came across this clock - seller was in Los Angeles and I was in San Francisco - he was kind enough to ship overnight to me when I won the bid.

Measuring 7 x 3.5 x 11cm (L x W x H), this specimen winds from the back and looks suspended from afar. I have seen larger round shaped types which are easily 20cm across.

This particular clock is in very good condition as evident in the movement. The sapphire glass is bevelled, hence the reflection.

A side view reveals the gears and construction of the clock.

A close up view of the inline movement

The movement is in pretty good shape - mostly sealed in unlike the case which has tarnished over time due to the humidity levels here in Singapore.

Calibre 250 inscribed onto the bridge.

Single barrel according 8 days of power reserve for the clock.

Years ago, I asked then CEO of JLC if they were planning to release new clocks but the disappointing answer was no. I guess they still have their Atmos range which is still doing very well. No harm in asking but I wish they would bring back some of the older models.

No comments:

Post a Comment